| |
-Josh Thomson decries the media's lightweight rankings for MMA during the pre-fight press conference for Saturday's Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons 2 event. (Quotes transcribed at MMAFighting.com).
Penick's Analysis: While rankings are a completely subjective system, and everyone that provides their rankings has their own criteria when putting them together, there's a case for having Henderson over JZ. I don't have either of them on my personal top ten, as although Henderson has won eleven straight fights there are more fighters that have taken on tougher competition overall. But Thomson clearly believes past competition and success weighs more heavily than what's been done recently. Personally I put more weight over what fighters have accomplished recently, as the fight game is always in flux. Just because a fighter was a top five or ten fighter two years ago doesn't mean they just keep that spot if they haven't performed since then. In JZ's case, he's gone 1-2 with one no contest since 2008. Ben Henderson has won eight straight fights in that time frame. I'd say he absolutely should be ranked ahead of JZ, but I still wouldn't put him as a top ten fighter yet.
Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Affliction2/article_7106.shtml
Avril Lavigne Bali Rodriguez Bar Refaeli Beyoncé Bianca Kajlich
No comments:
Post a Comment